The Air Warfare Centre exists within Air Command and is critical to establishing the RAAF as a modern and fully integrated combat force that can deliver air and space power effects in the information age. The AWC is supported by an integrated workforce which includes Air Force, Army, Navy, Public Service and Defence Industry personnel.
The vision of AWC is: “Excellence in Integrated Air Warfare for optimal Joint Effects”.
Its mission is to: “Deliver Integrated Air Warfighting solutions for superior combat effectiveness”.
The goals of the AWC are to provide:
- A focal point for bottom up innovation at the tactical and operational levels
- Coordinated and integrated tactics and procedures development across all AF platforms using live, virtual and/or constructed (LVC) environments
- Coordination of Science and Technology (S&T) and Research and Development (R&D) effort across AF
- Testing of current and proposed Concepts of Operation (CONOPS) against force structure and higher level Defence plans at the operational and tactical level
- Collation of lessons learned through experimentation for inclusion in strategic planning, capability development, doctrine development, and exercise planning
- Exchange of ideas across the ADF and the Coalition.
The AWC is comprised of the following:
- HQ AWC – responsible for the coordination and implementation of common and integrated functions across the AWC IOT meet the AWC Mission
- Test and Evalution Directorate – the ADF service provider to AF and Army for specialised flight T&E, aviation medicine support, aeronautical information products, stores clearance and aviation systems engineering support
- Information Warfare Directorate – centralises the AF’s tactical information warfare elements and provides the wider RAAF with an integrated and tailorable operational support capability drawn from across the Intelligence, Electronic Warfare and Information Operations domains. It enables the coherent development and management of the RAAF's Information Warfare capabilities
- AF Ranges Directorate – I the primary provider of Air Force Air Weapon Ranges and Live, Virtual and Constructive (LVC) simulation to enable the testing of war materiel and the training of AF capabilities in order to deliver more effective warfighters
- Tactics and Training Directorate – focuses on the development of multi-discipline high end integrated tactics and training across the AF through a combination of training, education engagement and integrated exercises.