No 40 Squadron
Equipped with six Sunderland flying boats, No 40 Squadron formed in Queensland on 31 March 1944. Initial operations saw the squadron operating between Townsville and New Guinea, ferrying supplies and passengers. In July 1944, No 40 Squadron was relocated to Port Moresby, where it continued its transport duties to mainland Australia as well as other island destinations.
During one mission in March 1945, a No 40 Squadron Sunderland located survivors from a crashed Dakota. The Sunderland crew dropped a dinghy and medical supplies to the survivors and remained on station to guide a naval trawler to pick up the Dakota's crew.
By mid-1945, four Martin Mariner flying boats were added to the squadron's inventory, operating alongside the Sunderlands. With the cessation of hostilities, No 40 Squadron repatriated Australian personnel to the mainland prior to moving to New South Wales in March 1946.
Catalinas soon replaced the Mariners, however, operations were rapidly scaled down and, on 19 June 1946, No 40 Squadron was disbanded.back to top back to RAAF units page