No 41 Squadron
Formed at Townsville, Queensland, in August 1942, No 41 Squadron operated Empire flying boats, carrying freight and passengers along Australia's east coast and up to New Guinea.
June 1943 saw the first of six ex-Dutch Dornier flying boats allotted to No 41 Squadron as replacements for the Empires. Although impressive in appearance, these three-engined aircraft could only carry 908 kilograms of freight and were in very poor mechanical condition. Despite the tireless efforts of squadron ground staff, the serviceability rates for these aircraft remained poor.
By February 1944, Martin Mariner flying boats arrived to supplement the Dorniers. These new aircraft, with their greater payload and performance, quickly became the preferred aircraft, especially on the longer flights to Noumea, Espiritu Santo (Vanuatu) and other island ports of call.
Apart from its transport role, the squadron also effected a number of search and rescue missions. By the end of the war, No 41 Squadron had rescued over one hundred and fifty personnel from the waters of the Pacific.
After briefly operating a daily service from Cairns to New Guinea, No 41 Squadron was disbanded on 27 September 1945.back to top back to RAAF units page