CAC Wirraway A20-561
Restored to represent CA-9 Wirraway A20-561, the RAAF Museum's Wirraway is actually CA-16 Mk III A20-687.
Received into RAAF service on 24 December 1944, A20-687 initially received modifications at Nos 1 and 7 Aircraft Depot before being placed into storage at Tocumwal, New South Wales, during May 1945. In February 1953, the airframe was surveyed for future use and the aircraft was subsequently sent to CAC at Fishermens Bend for servicing. Returning to Tocumwal in November 1953, A20-687 finally entered service with No 1 Basic Flying Training School at Uranquinty, NSW, in March 1955. In April 1956, the aircraft suffered damage in a forced landing at Uranquinty after the engine cut out in flight. After a short period of storage after repair in May 1956, the aircraft was allocated to Base Squadron Point Cook in August 1956. In December 1958, the aircraft was transferred to General Reserve at Point Cook and was approved for disposal in May 1959. After disposal by the RAAF, the aircraft was owned by Marshall's Spreading Services at Albury, before being purchased by Mr Baird of Geelong.
Purchased by Mr R Hourigan and Mr P Capron in 1968, A20-687 was acquired in Geelong and transported to Moorabbin for restoration on 17 August 1968. Over the next eight years, an extensive restoration of the aircraft was undertaken, including the fitment of operational equipment applicable to a CA-9 Wirraway operated in the dive-bomber role.
Restoration of the aircraft was completed in 1977 and A20-561 was placed on loan to the RAAF Museum for display in July 1977. The RAAF Museum purchased this aircraft in May 1999 for display.
No 1 Aircraft Depot received Wirraway A20-561 on 29 March 1942. Throughout its operational life it served with Nos 4 and 24 Squadrons. A20-561 was retired from service on 4 October 1945.