Visit Us Museum Shop Junior Aviator Contact Us
Special Exhibitions Upcoming Displays New Acquisitions
Special Exhibition Heritage Gallery Training Hangar Technology Hangar Hangar 180 External Displays Flying Displays Restoration Projects Behind the Scenes
General Events Aircraft Historical 360° Hangar Views
RAAF Badge RAAF Bases RAAF Units Personnel Records RAAF Aircraft
Volunteers Friends

Lockheed C-130A Hercules A97-214

Received into RAAF service on 14 January 1959, A97-214 was operated by No 36 Squadron, part of the RAAF's No 86 (Transport) Wing. During A97-214's long service career, servicings were carried out by No 2 Aircraft Depot and No 486 Maintenance Squadron at Richmond, and Qantas at Kingsford-Smith Airport, Sydney.

             

A97-214 participated in many notable RAAF operations, including support for RAAF forces in Thailand and Vietnam, flood relief and civil aid taskings, and providing relief to Darwin in the aftermath of Cyclone Tracy. In 1978, A97-214 was withdrawn from service, and was stored at RAAF Base Laverton pending disposal.

Allocated to the RAAF Museum in 1988, the aircraft was transported by road to Point Cook in May 1994.

Back to External Display

Hercules Data Sheet

Hercules Image Gallery

See also History of C-130E Hercules A97-160