de Havilland 84 Dragon A34-92
First flying in November 1932, the DH 84 Dragon was designed as a 'feeder-liner' and achieved commercial success due to its low operating costs. Beginning in 1940, the RAAF impressed seven civilian-operated Dragons into service, before ordering eighty-seven of the type to be constructed under licence by de Havilland Australia at Bankstown in New South Wales during 1941-43. The Dragon was nicknamed 'the flying butterbox' because of its all-wooden construction, and was powered by a pair of 130 horsepower Gypsy Major engines
Acquired primarily as radio and navigation trainers for use under the Empire Air Training Scheme, the Dragons were also used in communications, rescue, freighter and air ambulance roles. During World War II, 42 of the RAAF's Dragons were written off, and after retirement in 1948, the survivors were used by a variety of airlines and the Royal Flying Doctor Service.
The RAAF Museum's Dragon, A34-92, was constructed by Hawker de Havilland at Bankstown, New South Wales, in May 1943 and served with No 33 Squadron and No 5 Communications Flight. At the end of World War II, the aircraft was ferried to Wagga Wagga, NSW, and was sold in February 1946 for $100. The aircraft passed through a variety of owners, including QANTAS, before being purchased by the Hockin family in 1962. The RAAF Museum acquired A34-92 in mid-2004 for display.