GAF Pika A93-2
Built as a manned version of the Jindivik pilotless aircraft, the GAF Pika first flew in October 1950 from the Woomera airfield. Known initially as Project 'C', two Pikas were built, and logged over one hundred flying hours in testing. To date the only Australian designed and built manned jet aircraft, this aircraft, A93-2 is the sole survivor of its type, and ended its flying career in June 1954.
The Pika was powered by a single Armstrong Siddeley Adder turbojet, and had a maximum speed of over 755 km/h. Differing from the Jindivik in its engine intakes, undercarriage and cockpit, the addition of the pilot reduced the fuel load available for the aircraft, reducing its endurance to around 30 minutes. In addition, the aircraft could be both flown by the pilot or a ground station, as per the Jindivik, and provided excellent training for operators of the Jindivik with the added safety net of a pilot in the cockpit. Although the Pika suffered several minor accidents, the trials were a success, and among other results, proved
that the Jindivik design did not
require a rudder, saving cost
A93-2, otherwise known as aircraft C-2, was received at the RAAF's Aircraft Research and Development Unit at Woomera, South Australia in October 1951, and flew during the Jindivik test program. In August 1955, the aircraft was issued to the Weapons Research Establishment after conclusion of flight testing. Transported to RAAF Base Edinburgh in South Australia, A93-2 made its way to Point Cook for the RAAF Museum in the late 1970s.
back to top Back to Hangar 180
Pika Data Sheet