Visit Us Museum Shop Junior Aviator Contact Us
Special Exhibitions Upcoming Displays New Acquisitions
Special Exhibition Heritage Gallery Training Hangar Technology Hangar Hangar 180 External Displays Flying Displays Restoration Projects Behind the Scenes
General Events Aircraft Historical 360° Hangar Views
RAAF Badge RAAF Bases RAAF Units Personnel Records RAAF Aircraft
Volunteers Friends

History of A52-600

Current Project | Past Restorations | Restorations | History of DH 98 Mosquito

Manufactured at Hatfield, UK, as NS631 in 1943-44, A52-600 was the first aircraft in a batch of 12 PR Mk XVI Mosquitos for the RAAF to make up shortfalls in Australian production of the type. The aircraft arrived in Australia in December 1944, and after assembly and test flying at No 2 Aircraft Depot at RAAF Richmond, A52-600 was allocated to No 87 (Reconnaissance) Squadron based at Coomalie Creek, Northern Territory. During 1945, A52-600 flew more than 20 photo-reconnaissance operations over Japanese held territory in the Pacific. Post-war, the aircraft continued in service until 1947, taking part in the mapping survey of Australia, until it was declared unserviceable. The aircraft was converted to an instructional airframe for the Air and Ground Radio School at Ballarat before being offered for disposal in 1954 with a total flying time of 321.8 hours on the airframe.

The aircraft was purchased by a Mildura orchardist who, due to difficulties in transporting the aircraft, severed the wings and rear fuselage with a chainsaw, and after experimenting with farm uses, turned the fuselage into a play house for his children.

In 1966, A52-600 was purchased by Mr Pearce Dunn for the Warbirds Aviation Museum in Mildura. His intention was to restore the Mosquito, however, this proved beyond the capabilities of the Warbirds Museum, and after some minor restoration work and many years of storage it was sold in 1983 to a group who intended to return A52-600 to flying condition.

This also failed to occur, and in 1987 the aircraft was exchanged with the RAAF Museum and spent a short time in storage at Laverton prior to being transported to RAAF Base Richmond for restoration. Some progress had been made on the project before the disbandment of the Caribou and Historical Aircraft Section at Richmond, warranting its relocation to the RAAF Museum.

back to top