No 15 Squadron
Equipped with Beauforts, No 15 Squadron formed at Camden New South Wales on 27 January 1944. The Unit operated in the anti-submarine and convoy escort role off Australia's East Coast for most of its short history.
In April 1945, a detachment of No 15 Squadron aircraft deployed to Tadji, joining other Beaufort Squadrons attacking targets around Wewak. Operating at the end of a tenuous supply line which forced the squadron, at times to utilise captured Japanese bombs, the Beauforts undertook a series of very accurate strikes against Japanese positions.
Other missions during this period saw the squadron flying frequent reconnaissance and anti-submarine operations, as well as search and rescue missions. These rescue missions, often involved the Unit's Beauforts providing suppressive fire, enabling Catalina flying boats to land and rescue downed aircrew.
While active operations were being undertaken by the New Guinea detachment, other detachments were operating from Cairns and Townsville, carrying out reconnaissance and anti-submarine operations off the Queensland coast.
Following the War, No 15 Squadron moved to Kingaroy where it disbanded on 23 March 1946back to top back to RAAF units page