No 25 Squadron
In January 1939, No 25 Squadron formed in Western Australia, providing support for both the Army and Navy as well as cadet pilot training for the RAAF.
After war was declared, all reserve personnel were mobilised and the unit was allocated Australian built Wirraways. Following Japan's entry to the war, No 25 Squadron received a small number of Buffaloes, and with these obsolescent aircraft, the unit was charged with the air defence of Perth.
By August 1943 the Squadron was re-equipped with Vengeance dive-bombers and began air support exercises with Army units.
In January 1945, No 25 Squadron was re-equipped with Liberator heavy bombers, and flew its first bombing mission two months later. For the remainder of the war, No 25 Squadron flew long range missions against Japanese shipping and base facilities in the Dutch East Indies. In the months following the end of hostilities, No 25 Squadron aircraft evacuated POWs to Australia until the unit was disbanded in July 1946.
No 25 Squadron was reformed as a Citizen Air Force unit at Pearce in April 1948. The Units role was to train cadet pilots and, after receiving Vampire jets, the Squadron was also responsible for maintaining a fighter presence in Australia's West. In 1998, the Squadron split into two units. The reformed No 79 Squadron, equipped with Macchis, continued to carry out flying training for operational pilots. The reserve element remained as No 25 Squadron, providing a surge capability of trained personnel to the Air Force for times of contingency.
The Combat Support Group restructure in July 2010 has resulted in No 25 (City of Perth) Squadron now taking on an enhanced role, now responsible for combat support and base operations as a Permanent Air Force Unit.back to top back to RAAF units page