Visit Us Museum Shop Junior Aviator Contact Us
Special Exhibitions Upcoming Displays New Acquisitions
Special Exhibition Heritage Gallery Training Hangar Technology Hangar Hangar 180 External Displays Flying Displays Restoration Projects Behind the Scenes
General Events Aircraft Historical 360° Hangar Views
RAAF Badge RAAF Bases RAAF Units Personnel Records RAAF Aircraft
Volunteers Friends

No 459 Squadron

Equipped with Hudsons and Blenheims, No 459 Squadron formed in Egypt in February 1942. Operating in a maritime reconnaissance role, the Unit began an intensive campaign against enemy shipping, in particular attacking German tank landing craft.

On 28 July 1942, four Hudsons made their first attack on two of these landing craft, damaging one so badly that it was subsequently beached. In the following months at least twelve of landing craft were sunk, and soon losses became so heavy that the Germans ceased operating these vessels during the daylight hours.

Staging through many bases in Northern Africa, No 459 Squadron's Hudsons scored a number of major successes. In September 1942 the Squadron sank an enemy destroyer, while the following year a German U-boat was destroyed.

In September 1943, No 459 Squadron temporally changed roles to that of a bomber unit - conducting day and night strikes against targets on Greece and Crete. After operating Venturas for a period of four months the Squadron was re-equipped with Baltimores in July 1944. With these aircraft, No 459 Squadron continued its attacks around the Greek islands until the Unit was re-located to England in March 1945 - disbanding a month later.

back to top back to RAAF units page