No 86 Squadron
Initially equipped with Kittyhawk fighters, No 86 Squadron formed at Gawler, South Australia in March 1943. After staging through Townsville the Squadron deployed to Dutch New Guinea in July.
On 9 September 1943, the Unit fought its only major combat of the War when fourteen Kittyhawks engaged 36 enemy fighters and bombers as they raided the Marauke airfield. During this attack many of the Kittyhawks suffered from gun malfunctions, however, three enemy fighters were shot down.
For the remainder of the war the Squadron flew regular fighter sweeps and ground attack missions - which were generally uneventful in nature. Further air combat opportunities occurred in the first weeks of 1944 when No 86 Squadron Kittyhawks shot down three enemy aircraft near Cape Valsch.
In May 1944, the Squadron was transferred to Bohle River where in June 1945 it began to re-equip with Mustangs. Four months after the cessation of hostilities, No 86 Squadron was disbanded.back to top back to RAAF units page