On 5 February 1946 the advance party of No 12 Squadron, Commanded by Squadron Leader J.E.S. Bennet arrived at the Base and became a lodger unit on No 3 Aircraft Depot. The movement of No 12 Squadron was completed during March 1946 and the Squadron was reduced to a care and maintenance unit at Amberley, and eventually came under the command of the Headquarters No 82 Wing.
Headquarters No 82 Wing, No 21 Heavy Bomber (H/B) Squadron and No 23 H/B Squadron moved from Tocumwal, NSW to Amberley during April 1946. On 2 April the Commanding Officer No 82 Wing, Group Captain P. Parker, DFC, flew to Amberley to inspect the new location. On 17 April the orderly rooms of the three units were closed down at Tocumwal and re-opened at Amberley on 18 April. On arrival at Amberley the units ceased to operate and were reduced to a care and maintenance basis. No 82 Wing was lodged on No 3AD but remained under the command of Headquarters Eastern Area.
On 10 May 1946, No 4 Repair and Salvage Unit completed its move from Parkes NSW to Amberley, and was renamed No 482 Squadron in accordance with a message 290005Z March 1946 from Eastern Area HQ orders. A unit message of 1 April 1946 showed that the unit strength was by then two officers and forty airmen. A convoy of 13 vehicles and 33 personnel left Parkes on 6 May 1946 travelling via Coonabarabran, Tamworth, Glen Innes and Warwick to Amberley. The Unit, under the command of Squadron Leader J.E. Jackson, then became a component of No 82 Wing and was responsible for the maintenance of the Liberator aircraft held on strength at 12, 21 and 23 Squadrons.