RAAF Base Townsville is located in the heart of Townsville and has a long and proud association with the people of North Queensland, actively supporting the community from Cooktown to the north and Longreach in the west.
The base hosts a large number of deployments throughout the year. It is significant in providing support services for other Air Force operations and exercises involving all in-service aircraft types, together with a myriad of aircraft from visiting forces. RAAF Base Townsville also plays an important part in ADF operations as forward operating base for forces being deployed on operations into the South West Pacific as well as to the North.
The following are based at RAAF Base Townsville.
- No 27 (City of Townsville) Squadron – air base support
- No 65 Air Base Recovery Squadron – air base recovery
- No 383 Squadron - contingency response squadron
- No 452 Squadron Townsville Flight - air traffic control
- Combat Survival Training School - evasion and escape training
- Army’s 5th Aviation Regiment – Taipan (MRH-90) and Chinook (CH-47) helicopters
- No 1 Expeditionary Health Squadron Detachment Townsville
- No 2 Security Forces Squadron detachment Townsville
- Air Force Museum – The Heritage Centre
- No 1 Wing, Headquarters
- No 101 Squadron Australian Air Force Cadets
- Visit the Defence Aircraft Noise website or call 1300 DEFENCE (1300 333 362).
- See Flying Operations to view major training exercises and flying activities.
- Read the F-35A Flying Operations Approval and Conditions.