RAAF Base East Sale is located 220km South East of Melbourne, in Victoria's Gippsland region, and supports a capacity of approximately 700 personnel.
It opened as a training base on 22 April 1943 and was initially home to Number 1 Operational Training Unit (1 OTU), equipped with Bristol Beaufort light bomber aircraft. Following World War II, the Air Force Central Flying School was relocated from RAAF Base Point Cook to East Sale in 1947.
The base plays a major role in training the next generation of Air Force personnel under the Air Academy. This includes:
New Officers at the Officer's Training School;
Mission Controllers,Mission Aircrew and Operations Officers at the Air Mission Training School (AMTS); and
Air Traffic Controllers at the School of Air Traffic Control.
The base is also home to No 32 Squadron (which flies the King Air multi-role aircraft) and No 30 Squadron - airbase operations. The famous Roulettes aerobatic display team from Central Flying School is also located at RAAF Base East Sale. The base is located 6 km from Sale's CBD and was recently upgraded with a new Physical Fitness Complex, Air Traffic Control Tower, accommodation blocks for members on courses, Chapel and Community Support facilities, and other upgrades to buildings and services around the base.
Air Force has an honest and open approach to aircraft noise that may affect neighbours of our bases and training areas.
Our pilots and crews operate their aircraft in a way that minimises aircraft noise, and we freely distribute information about aircraft noise, such as Australian Noise Exposure Forecast (ANEF) maps.
For more information, visit the Defence Aircraft Noise website or call 1300 DEFENCE (1300 333 362). See Flying Operations to view major training exercises and flying activities.
The following Units operate from RAAF Base East Sale:
- Air Academy
- Officer's Training School
- No 453 East Sale Flight - Air Traffic Control
- No 32 Squadron - King Air multi-role aircraft
- No 30 (City of Sale) Squadron - airbase operations
- Central Flying School - flying instructor training
- School of Air Traffic Control
- No 1 Flying Training School - PC-21 Pilot Training
- Air Mission Training School - Mission Controllers, Mission Aircrew and Operations Officers
- Aviation Candidate Management Centre
- Air Training and Aviation Commons Systems Program Office (ATACSPO)
- No 1 Expeditionary Health Squadron Detachment East Sale
- 4/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse Regiment
- Defence Support and Reform Group
- Civilian Contractors
- Transfield Services
- Hawker Pacific
- Serco Sodexho
- Canadian Helicopter Company
- Wilson Security
Due to RAAF Base East Sale's training role, the airspace around the base has been sectioned into training areas. For information about the location and aircraft activity within these areas, click here.