Pitch Black 2018 Flypast and Handling Display
Date: Thursday 2 August 2018
A flypast featuring Australian and international military aircraft, including a RAAF F/A-18 Hornet handling display (subject to operational availability). This year the Mindil Beach flypast will showcase the largest number of Australian and International aircraft.
Pitch Black 2018 Open Day
The Pitch Black Open Day is a free community event and is a perfect opportunity to get up close and personal with the local and international military aircraft and vehicles. It is also a rare opportunity to meet the crews and personnel who fly and operate these machines.
The Pitch Black Open Day will also include food stalls, rides, military working dog displays, Air Force band performance, interactive exhibits and activities.
Spectators arriving by Bus:
Spectators arriving from the Palmerston direction
Spectators should alight at Route 8 stop number 457, which is about 150m west of the Bombing Rd gate. They should then walk to the corner of Bombing Rd and Stuart Highway, where an ARAFURA traffic controller will allow them to cross the Stuart Highway safely. Once on the opposite side of the Stuart Highway they should await the arrival of the shuttle bus which will take them to the event.
Spectators arriving from the city direction
- Spectators should alight at Route 8 stops 327 or 328, both of which are located between Bombing Rd gate and S gate. They should then await the arrival of the shuttle bus.
On leaving the event
- Spectators will be taken to Route 8 stops 327 or 328 to catch a bus eastbound (towards Palmerston), or cross the Stuart Highway, under ARAFURA direction, to catch a bus westbound (towards the city) from Route 8 stop 457.
Walking Spectators and Bike Riding Spectators:
- Walk-ins and bicycles will not be allowed onto the RAAF Base through the Open Day access gates. Pedestrians are to await the shuttle bus at either Route 8 stop 327 or 328 or on the western corner (RAAF Base side) of the Bombing Rd/Stuart Hwy intersection, immediately outside the base fence.
- All bicycles are to be left off the base. It is recommended that they be secured to the perimeter fence. The shuttle bus has no facility to carry bicycles.
- Motorbikes are permitted to enter via either access gate. They are then to follow motorbike parking signage.
- Taxis are permitted to enter via either access gate.
- Once on base, taxi drivers are to follow taxi point signage.
- Taxis carrying disabled passengers are then to follow disabled parking signage.
Disabled Spectator Vehicles:
- Disabled spectators in vehicles are permitted to enter via either access gate. They are then to follow disabled parking signage.