Air Force 100
On 31 March 2021, the Royal Australian Air Force will mark 100 years as an independent service.
This will be an important time to reflect on and acknowledge our enduring contribution to Australia's national security.
Air Force 2021 (AF2021) will be a nationwide program of carefully selected events and initiatives that:
- honour the service and sacrifices of our people over the last 100 years;
- engage the Australian community and demonstrate today’s highly capable force; and
- inspire young Australians to consider a career in the Air Force or aviation industry.
Planning for the centenary is already underway. The first stage was a public consultation in late 2015 and early 2016. We received more than 320 suggestions to mark the centenary.
In assessing all of the ideas against our key criteria of safety, value for money and maximum effect, we are now examining some of the submissions in more detail.
The next steps in planning for 2021 are:
- continuing to raise awareness of the centenary;
- exploring options for Youth Development activities;
- continuing discussions with Defence industry for potential partnering with some initiatives; and
- meeting State and Territory Government tourism and major events agencies to discuss options for Air Force involvement in significant public events during 2021.
The Air Force centenary will be a time to reflect on all that has been achieved in our first 100 years and foreshadow our continued evolution into the future.
Imagine what the next century will bring!