F-35A Lightning low-level training - Gloucester and Bulahdelah

Operation Details Tab

Details
Residents in the Gloucester and Bulahdelah areas are advised F-35A Lightning II aircraft from RAAF Base Williamtown, near Newcastle will conduct flying training 28-30 January.
 
Thirteen F-35A Lightning II aircraft are now based at RAAF Base Williamtown, and are gradually replacing the aging F/A-18A/B Hornet aircraft.
 
Commander of Air Combat Group, Air Commodore (AIRCDRE) Tim Alsop said local residents might be surprised to see different fighter jets conducting low flying activities in the area.
 
No. 3 Squadron (3SQN) attack training will include some low level flying as part of developing air to surface tactics.
 
“3SQN aircrew are all experienced pilots who have been flying the F-35A aircraft in the United States since 2015, and in Australia since their introduction in December 2018.
 
“Developing skills in low level attacks are an important part of Defence training – and we need to test the F-35A capability as part of verification and validation process for its initial operating capability,’’ AIRCDRE Alsop said.
 
Fighter jets operate over the ocean well off the Hunter and Great Lakes coasts for 70 percent of their training. The remaining 30 percent of operations are conducted to the west and north of RAAF Base Williamtown and other parts of Australia.
 
“Air Force is committed to ensuring every effort is made to minimise any inconvenience to residents living in these areas and the ongoing support of local communities is appreciated,” AIRCDRE Alsop said.
 
AIRCDRE Alsop said local residents living in the Central and North-Western NSW area can refer to the RAAF Base Williamtown OPS near me site for information on flying operations. 

Information on aircraft noise and current flying activities is available at http://www.defence.gov.au/aircraftnoise, or by calling 1300 DEFENCE (1300 333 362)