All leave is to be submitted on an AD 097 ADF Leave Application to UTW1.

Major policy change that affects undergraduates regarding leave. Previously, undergraduates did not accrue recreation until they graduated and attended Officers' Training School. The current arrangement is that undergraduates are now credited with recreation leave every fortnight. They can be granted trainee leave when they are not required to attend or to carry out other duties such as home-based study.

PMKeyS (the Defence personnel management software) will automatically deduct any trainee leave granted from your recreation leave credit. In cases where the grant of leave exceeds your credit, the system will record the leave as additional leave for training purposes. These rules apply to all undergraduates.

While on leave you cannot accrue leave. However, if you do not submit a leave form when you proceed on leave, you will continue to accrue it. This is fraudulent and can result in disciplinary or administrative action being taken against you.

Medical Officer Residency. Clause 5.2.5 of the Pay and Conditions Manual (PACMAN) clearly states that recreation leave provisions do not apply to members while they are undertaking a medical residency at a hospital. This means that you do not accrue recreation leave during your medical residency.


Applying For Leave
All leave (including sick leave, trainee leave, long service leave etc) must be applied for on form AD 097 ADF Leave Application. Once you have filled out the AD 097, you should send or fax it to UTW1.

You need to provide ample time, prior to the commencement of your leave, for your application to be processed. You are not legally permitted to commence your leave until your AD 097 has been approved as this has implications for insurance and compensation purposes.

There are several different types of leave. For the most part, only trainee leave (or annual leave for medical officers) will apply to members of the RAAF Undergraduate Scheme.

Trainee Leave: Trainee Leave is granted to students during semester breaks and between graduation and commencing postgraduate training and during postgraduate training. In addition, while on postgraduate training, all leave is to be approved and taken in accordance with the hospital/institution's leave policy and guidelines. All leave once approved by the hospital/institution must also be submitted to OIC UGRADS for accrual purposes. Refer to PACMAN, Volume 1, Chapter 5, Part 2, Division 5.

Special Leave: Special leave consists of leave for compassionate and caring reasons. There is a maximum of 5 days per year for compassionate leave and 5 days for carer's leave. Refer to PACMAN, Volume 1, Chapter 5, Part 7, Division 2.

Long Service Leave (LSL): A member accrues 3 months LSL after 10 years of service. For undergraduates, LSL starts to accrue from your appointment date. LSL may be taken at 3 months on full pay or 6 months on half pay. Any time taken on leave without pay does not count towards 10 years service for LSL entitlements. Refer to PACMAN, Volume 1, Chapter 5, Part 3. It is unusual for UGRAD members to become eligible for LSL.

Leave Without Pay (LWOP): Members may apply to take 12 months LWOP at any time during their careers. It is not always approved by Directorate of Personnel and is dependent upon staffing issues. As an undergraduate you may wish to take 12 months leave from study and would therefore apply for 12 months LWOP. LWOP has several ramifications affecting LSL and other entitlements that you may be receiving and would not be entitled to if on LWOP. Refer to PACMAN, Volume 1, Chapter 5, Part 8. You are encouraged to consult FIND to see how this may affect you. You should always remember that LWOP is not an automatic entitlement.

Maternity Leave (MATL): A member is entitled to 14 weeks (full time) paid MATL when they been in the ADF for over 12 months. Members on MATL also have the option of taking up to 9 months LWOP in conjunction with MATL, making a total of 12 months. Refer to PACMAN, Volume 1, Chapter 5, Part 4, Division 2 and Health Directive 235 dated 12 December 2002.

Once you have completed your university degree, Initial Officer Course (IOC) or are posted to a unit for full-time duty you will also be eligible for the following types of leave:

Recreation leave (ANN): ANN is an entitlement of 20 days per year (excluding weekends). ANN is accrued daily against a member’s record. While on ANN you continue on your normal rate of pay. Refer to PACMAN Volume 1, Chapter 5, Part 2.
Short absence from duty: Also known as Short Leave When Required for Duty (SLWRD). SLWRD is granted by the Commanding Officer of a unit for extra overtime or to compensate for shift work. It might also be granted in extenuating personal circumstances. Only 5 days SLWRD may be taken consecutively. Refer to PACMAN Volume 1, Chapter 5, Part 9, Division 1.

Short absence when not required for duty: Also known as Short Leave When Not Required for Duty (SLWNRD). SLWNRD is leave granted to a member when they are not required to be at work. Refer to PACMAN Volume 1, Chapter 5, Part 9, Division 2.

All leave is to be submitted on an AD 097 ADF Leave Application to UTW1.