Visit Us Museum Shop Junior Aviator Contact Us
Special Exhibitions Upcoming Displays New Acquisitions
Special Exhibition Heritage Gallery Training Hangar Technology Hangar Hangar 180 External Displays Flying Displays Restoration Projects Behind the Scenes
General Events Aircraft Historical 360° Hangar Views
RAAF Badge RAAF Bases RAAF Units Personnel Records RAAF Aircraft
Volunteers Friends

Ballarat

Although flying operations at the site of the Ballarat Airport began in 1914, it was not until the advent of World War II that the RAAF utilised the airfield as a military base. The RAAF formed No 1 Wireless Air Gunners School at the base in 1940, and it remained a RAAF base for the next 21 years. After World War II, Ballarat was the home of the RAAF School of Radio until that unit moved to new facilities at Laverton, Victoria, in 1961.






Back to RAAF Bases