Visit Us Museum Shop Junior Aviator Contact Us
Special Exhibitions Upcoming Displays New Acquisitions
Special Exhibition Heritage Gallery Training Hangar Technology Hangar Hangar 180 External Displays Flying Displays Restoration Projects Behind the Scenes
General Events Aircraft Historical 360° Hangar Views
RAAF Badge RAAF Bases RAAF Units Personnel Records RAAF Aircraft
Volunteers Friends

No 102 Squadron

Formed as a heavy bomber squadron at Cecil Plains , Queensland, in May 1945, No 102 Squadron received their first B-24 Liberator aircraft in July of that year. Training of crews commenced using Anson and Tiger Moth aircraft in addition to the B-24s, however, the end of the war in the Pacific theatre resulted in the squadron being employed largely in the transport and ferry role. No 102 Squadron aircraft flew to Finschhafen, Morotai and Bougainville, bringing supplies to Australian forces still stationed throughout the South-West Pacific, and repatriating time-expired troops.

No 102 Squadron ceased flying operations in December 1945, and the unit was disbanded on 18 March 1946 .

back to top back to RAAF units page