Visit Us Museum Shop Junior Aviator Contact Us
Special Exhibitions Upcoming Displays New Acquisitions
Special Exhibition Heritage Gallery Training Hangar Technology Hangar Hangar 180 External Displays Flying Displays Restoration Projects Behind the Scenes
General Events Aircraft Historical 360° Hangar Views
RAAF Badge RAAF Bases RAAF Units Personnel Records RAAF Aircraft
Volunteers Friends

No 107 Squadron

Equipped with Kingfisher float planes 107 Squadron formed in the central New South Wales coastal town of Rathmines in May 1943. The Squadron conducted anti-submarine patrols and convoy escorts from the congested Lake Macquarie area until it was moved in mid 1944 to St Georges Basin.

To enhance the Kingfishers capability squadron personnel removed armour plating and wing fuel tanks as well as modifying the bomb racks to carry 250lb depth charges.

On the 25 and 26 December 1944 the squadron was involved in the unsuccessful search for a German submarine which had sunk an American liberty ship off Jervis Bay. With the arrival of the British Pacific Fleet in waters off Sydney in March 1945, the squadron was involved in the rescue of a number of Royal Navy pilots who had ditched into the sea.

Following the end of the War, 107 Squadron continued its activities until its disbandment in October 1945

back to top back to RAAF units page