Visit Us Museum Shop Junior Aviator Contact Us
Special Exhibitions Upcoming Displays New Acquisitions
Special Exhibition Heritage Gallery Training Hangar Technology Hangar Hangar 180 External Displays Flying Displays Restoration Projects Behind the Scenes
General Events Aircraft Historical 360° Hangar Views
RAAF Badge RAAF Bases RAAF Units Personnel Records RAAF Aircraft
Volunteers Friends

No 14 Squadron

On 6 February 1939, No 14 Squadron formed at Pearce, Western Australia. Initially equipped with Avro Ansons, the Squadron spent the lead up to World War ll engaged in navigational night flying training and exercises conducted in co-operation with the Army. After the outbreak of hostilities, No 14 Squadron began seaward reconnaissance flights and anti-submarine patrols prior to being re-equipped with Hudsons in mid-1940.

On 3 March 1942, No 14 Squadron had its only real encounter with the enemy, when Japanese fighters destroyed a Hudson on the ground at Broome.

By late 1942, No 14 Squadron was re-equipped with Australian-built Beauforts and continued its maritime patrols off Australia's West Coast. This unspectacular but nonetheless vital work was carried out until the end of the War, when the squadron was disbanded

back to top back to RAAF units page