Visit Us Museum Shop Junior Aviator Contact Us
Special Exhibitions Upcoming Displays New Acquisitions
Special Exhibition Heritage Gallery Training Hangar Technology Hangar Hangar 180 External Displays Flying Displays Restoration Projects Behind the Scenes
General Events Aircraft Historical 360° Hangar Views
RAAF Badge RAAF Bases RAAF Units Personnel Records RAAF Aircraft
Volunteers Friends

No 78 Squadron

No 78 Squadron, equipped with Kittyhawks, formed at Camden in New South Wales in July 1943. Operational by October, the Unit moved to Kiriwina Island in November, where the Squadron provided bomber escort and ground attack missions, against targets around Gasmata.

A succession of moves bought the Squadron to Hollandia where the unit fought the RAAF's last major air combat of the Pacific War - on 3 June 1944, sixteen Kittyhawks attacked a formation of twelve fighters and three dive-bombers. For the loss of one aircraft, the Kittyhawks claimed nine enemy aircraft destroyed and six damaged.

Subsequent moves took the Unit to Noemfoor, Morotai and finally Tarakan where the Squadron continued its ground attack operations until the end of the war.

After returning to Australia in December 1945, No 78 Squadron operated Mustangs for a short period until its disbandment in April 1948.

Related info
back to top back to RAAF units page