Visit Us Museum Shop Junior Aviator Contact Us
Special Exhibitions Upcoming Displays New Acquisitions
Special Exhibition Heritage Gallery Training Hangar Technology Hangar Hangar 180 External Displays Flying Displays Restoration Projects Behind the Scenes
General Events Aircraft Historical 360° Hangar Views
RAAF Badge RAAF Bases RAAF Units Personnel Records RAAF Aircraft
Volunteers Friends

No 84 Squadron

On 5 February 1943, No 84 Squadron formed at Richmond, New South Wales and within two months the Squadron's Boomerangs were deployed to Horn Island. The Boomerangs, along with No 86 Squadron's Kittyhawks, were responsible for the air defence of Horn Island and Merauke. Due to a lack of enemy activity, however, flying mainly consisted of uneventful patrols over Merauke - where a detached flight was later based.

The occasional enemy actions served to highlight the Boomerang's limitations as a fighter. On 16 May 1943, two No 84 Squadron Boomerangs on a routine patrol located and attacked three "Betty" bombers. The Australian-built fighters and Japanese bombers exchanged fire, however, the "Bettys" escaped without damage. Four months later, four Boomerangs and a larger force of No 86 Squadron Kittyhawks scrambled to intercept a Japanese attack against Merauke. While the Kittyhawks shot down a number of enemy aircraft, the slower Boomerangs were unable to close for combat.

In September 1943, No 84 Squadron was allocated Kittyhawks and continued its ground attack missions against targets in Dutch New Guinea. The Unit moved to Aitkenvale in May 1944 where it was reduced to cadre pending re-equipment with Mustangs. Before the Squadron's Mustang fighters could become operational the War ended, and four months later No 84 Squadron was disbanded.

back to top back to RAAF units page