Visit Us Museum Shop Junior Aviator Contact Us
Special Exhibitions Upcoming Displays New Acquisitions
Special Exhibition Heritage Gallery Training Hangar Technology Hangar Hangar 180 External Displays Flying Displays Restoration Projects Behind the Scenes
General Events Aircraft Historical 360° Hangar Views
RAAF Badge RAAF Bases RAAF Units Personnel Records RAAF Aircraft
Volunteers Friends

No 8 Squadron

No 8 Squadron formed in England in October 1917 to train pilots for Australian Flying Corps squadrons on the Western Front.

The day of Japan's entry to World War II found No 8 Squadron in the process of relocating to Kuantan, Malaya. Twelve Hudsons were immediately dispatched to attack the Japanese invasion forces at Kota Bahru and, despite strong fighter opposition and anti-aircraft fire, made effective attacks against Japanese troops and landing barges.

After firmly establishing their bridgehead, Japanese aircraft destroyed the base at Kuantan, forcing No 8 Squadron to withdraw to Singapore.

On 27 January 1942, No 8 Squadron moved to Java where it continued to conduct vital reconnaissance and attack missions even after the Japanese invaded the island. With aircraft numbers dwindling, No 8 Squadron was evacuated to Australia at the end of February. In March 1943, the squadron was re-equipped with Australian-built Beauforts and moved to Goodenough Island where it began torpedo operations in addition to its bombing roles.

No 8 Squadron later operated from bases in Nadzab and Tadji, where the Beauforts supported the Australian offensive against Wewak. After the Japanese surrender, No 8 Squadron remained at Tadji until its disbandment in January 1946.

back to top back to RAAF units page