Visit Us Museum Shop Junior Aviator Contact Us
Special Exhibitions Upcoming Displays New Acquisitions
Special Exhibition Heritage Gallery Training Hangar Technology Hangar Hangar 180 External Displays Flying Displays Restoration Projects Behind the Scenes
General Events Aircraft Historical 360° Hangar Views
RAAF Badge RAAF Bases RAAF Units Personnel Records RAAF Aircraft
Volunteers Friends

RAAF Museum

Formed at the direction of Air Marshal Sir George Jones in 1952, the RAAF Museum was administered by Headquarters Point Cook until its formation as a separate RAAF unit in 1988.

With the closure of No 1 Flying Training School (FTS) in 1993, the Museum moved to its present site, occupying hangars on both the northern and southern ends of Point Cook airfield. The two aircraft display hangars and restoration hangar were open to the public in 1993, and following extensive re-development of the former No 1 FTS Avionics and Safety Equipment workshop, the Museum's Heritage Gallery Exhibition opened in 1996. In 2000, the Training Hangar exhibit opened to the public, and in the following years, the Technology Hangar development was also opened. In addition to the displays, the RAAF Museum has operated Mustang, Vampire, Sabre, Harvard, Winjeel, Sopwith Pup, Tiger Moth and Ventura aircraft, and has undertaken many static and airworthy aircraft restorations. Today, the RAAF Museum has a staff of 24 permanent employees, in addition to the support of over 90 volunteers.

back to top back to RAAF units page