Visit Us Museum Shop Junior Aviator Contact Us
Special Exhibitions Upcoming Displays New Acquisitions
Special Exhibition Heritage Gallery Training Hangar Technology Hangar Hangar 180 External Displays Flying Displays Restoration Projects Behind the Scenes
General Events Aircraft Historical 360° Hangar Views
RAAF Badge RAAF Bases RAAF Units Personnel Records RAAF Aircraft
Volunteers Friends

Lockheed PV-1 Ventura VH-SFF

Originally built to a US Navy contract as BuAer 33369, VH-SFF rolled off the production line of the Vega Airplane Company at Burbank, California, USA, in 1943. Transferred to the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) under Lend-Lease, and re-serialled 2221, the aircraft briefly served in the RCAF's No 115 (BR) Squadron before going into stored reserve, Western Air Command. After nearly six years in storage, 2221 was struck off charge in August 1950.

In 1954 the aircraft was sold to Spartan Aircraft of Tulsa, Oklahoma, and an extensive modification program commenced to convert the aircraft for executive use. It was used as an executive aircraft until 1968 when it was converted for agricultural use, registered N159U. After several changes of ownership through to 1981, N159U languished at Fort Lauderdale airport in Florida before being purchased by Aero Nostalgia in 1985 and restored to airworthy condition.

In 1988 the aircraft was traded to the RAAF Museum, and N159U became VH-SFF, painted as A59-67 of the RAAF's No 13 Squadron. The aircraft was flown by the RAAF's Historic Flight until an accident in November 1996. VH-SFF is currently in storage awaiting repair to static display condition.

Back to Aircraft in Storage

Ventura Data Sheet

Ventura Image Gallery