Visit Us Museum Shop Junior Aviator Contact Us
Special Exhibitions Upcoming Displays New Acquisitions
Special Exhibition Heritage Gallery Training Hangar Technology Hangar Hangar 180 External Displays Flying Displays Restoration Projects Behind the Scenes
General Events Aircraft Historical 360° Hangar Views
RAAF Badge RAAF Bases RAAF Units Personnel Records RAAF Aircraft
Volunteers Friends

CAC CA-18 Mustang Mk 23 A68-170

             

Received from CAC Fisherman's Bend on 23 February 1950, A68-170 went straight into storage with No 1 Aircraft Depot Detachment B at Tocumwal, NSW. Ferried to RAAF Schofields via RAAF Fairbairn in August 1950, A68-170 was first operated by No 78 Wing. Transferred to No 2 Operational Training Unit in April 1952, and then No 23 (City of Brisbane) Squadron in October 1953, A68-170 had a short service career before returning to storage with No 3 Aircraft Depot in October 1956.

Approved for disposal, and subsequently withdrawn, in 1959, A68-170 was held by the Queensland Flight of the Air Training Corps as an instructional aid before being issued to the RAAF Museum in September 1970, arriving dismantled. The aircraft was restored to an almost flyable condition under the auspices of the Senior Engineering Officer, Squadron Leader Kevin Duffy. It was at this time that the aircraft gained its nickname, "Duffy's Delight". The aircraft was placed on display in a semi-complete condition in the late 1970s until 1990.

Restoration to flying condition commenced in 1991 and was completed in early 1999, the aircraft having its first public outing at the International Airshow at Avalon.

back to interactive display

image gallery

mustang restoration