End of the biplane era

09 Jan 1957

The last ten De Havilland Tiger Moth biplane trainers in service with the RAAF were flown in a group from Point Cook to Tocumwal, on the Murray River, where they were to be put up for sale to private owners. Australia's air force had been the first in the world to adopt the Moth type for training purposes. It purchased its first Gypsy Moths in 1927, before even the RAF acquired them. At the height of their use, during World War II, the RAAF operated over 860 of these aircraft, including 732 delivered from De Havilland’s factory at Bankstown, Sydney. With the departure of the last Moths from Point Cook, the RAAF bid farewell to the biplane age.

Related aircraft

  • Tiger Moth